Fabulous February!

I had a day off from my part-time job yesterday and so did my colleague and friend, Linda.  I asked her if she would like to come over and have a craft day with me and she was delighted.

We knew we would be making a couple of cards and I asked her to let me know if there were any particular techniques she wanted to learn.  One technique was a triple layered card which she had seen on Pinterest.  I knew immediately it would work really well using my new Timeless Tropical stamp set from the Jan - June mini catalogue.  I had just received the matching die set and have been wanting to use it all week. Now I love bright colours but am always challenged when using orange and I asked Linda to pick out the colour scheme which was Mango Melody for the base card and Poppy Parade for the layers, she did a great job of getting me out of my comfort zone and I love the vibrant result.  

Now, there are a couple of different ways of making a card using this technique and I decided to show Linda the frugal crafter way which saves you cardstock and therefore money - we all love that I'm sure!

After I cut the base card I cut a piece of Poppy Parade 13.5cm x 10cm and a piece of Whisper White the same size.  We used Mango Melody, Poppy Parade and Grannyapple Green ink to stamp a random pattern all over the white piece.  In actual fact we also used a couple of stamping techniques while we did this too: for the large hibiscus flower images we first inked up in Mango Melody and using a dauber we smooched some Poppy Parade ink in the centre before stamping - this gives a lovely two-tone look.  We also used a masking technique to get some of the leaf images so they look like they are behind the large flowers. 

I then used my Stitched Rectangle dies to cut the whisper white piece down to 13cm x 9cm, then cut it down to 6.5cm x 10cm then down to 3.5cm x 7cm.  You're then left with three 'layers' but the largest and middle layers are actually 'frames'. This means that you are only using one piece of cardstock and not 3.  I did the same for the Poppy Parade layers but only used two dies.  

I hope you agree that the finished layering is very effective and I love that I didn't waste any cardstock.  The cute little accent flowers and leaves are from the matching In The Tropics die set which can be purchased as the Timeless Tropical bundle saving 10%.

This bundle is part of a suite of products in the mini catalogue which includes gorgeous patterned Designer Series paper, an embossing folder, pretty trinkets, some braided burlap trim and Memories and More cards.

The second card we both made was this one which was pretty much CASED from the mini catalogue.  CASEing is when we Copy And Share Everything and is a term we use lots in Stampin' Up!  One common comment I hear from my customers who attend my classes is that they find it hard to come up with ideas and designs for their cards when they are crafting at home.  Sometimes they are surprised to hear me say the same!  I often have a creative block and so I turn to CASEing - I go to our catalogues and look at the fabulous cards and projects displayed there and sometimes I copy them straight up.  Other times I am inspired by them and change them or tweak them a little.  This card was pretty much copied straight out but I did have to change the embossed layer as I haven't got the embossing folder from the catalogue yet.  I also changed the sentiment as I wanted this card to be specifically for someone I have in mind (*wink*).

I used Lovely Lipstick cardstock as a base with Sahara Sand for the layer inside the window.  We stamped onto Shimmery White cardstock and used ink squished into the lid and an aqua painter to watercolour the flower blossoms.  The stamp set and matching dies are from the Parisian Blossoms suite; Forever Blossoms stamp set and Cherry Blossoms dies which are available as a bundle - saving 10% on the individual prices.  This suite is absolutely gorgeous and evokes spring in every element.  The script background was from Parisian Beauty stamp set which is also part of the suite.  You've got to check it out.

If you would like details of all the products used in these two projects then click the links in the description and you'll go straight to my online shop.  If you live local to Retford or Bawtry and want to learn tips and techniques then check out my class dates and book a place.

Comments

Popular Posts